Surprising Ways to Green Clean With Baking Soda
This month we turn the spotlight on baking soda, a favorite natural cleaning ingredient throughout history! Chances are you already know about baking soda’s ability to kill odors – you probably have an open box of the stuff under your sink or in your fridge right now – but did you know that it can also prevent grimy build-up and odor causing bacteria?
Check out all the amazing things this 100% natural ingredient is capable of when it comes to cleaning up messes! Thanks Mother Earth News for the handy tips and tricks here.
- Remove scuff marks
- Sprinkle floor with baking soda and wipe clean with a warm, damp cloth.
- Remove carpet odors
- Sprinkle baking soda on the floor, wait 10 minutes, and vacuum away. This is a better (and cheaper!) choice than traditional carpet cleaning products that leave dangerous residue and aren’t safe for animals or children.
- Make surfaces sparkle
- Mix baking soda and water and until it becomes a paste. Using microfiber cloth, scour tubs, sinks, countertops and dishes with this.
- Remove stains off counters or other surfaces
- Mix 1 part water with 3 parts baking soda to scrub away unwanted stains and messes.
- Keep your garbage area fresh-smelling
- Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of the can and into each new garbage bag to control odors before they start.
- Wash stubborn dishes
- Hate dealing with burnt or caked-on food? Just sprinkle baking soda over the dishes, add water and soak for a few hours to loosen the food.
- Make whites whiter and colors pop
- Add 1/2 cup baking soda to your laundry to help remove dirt and grease and make colors look brighter.
Baking soda isn’t limited to cleaning and odor removal. It also offers some surprising beauty benefits as well. Discover how you can use baking soda to make yourself as well as your house achieve your best look!
Have you been using baking soda in your cleaning routine? Let us in on your tips and tricks!