Healthy Apple Pie Recipe
Hesitating to celebrate Pi (Pie) Day because of your desire to eat healthier fare? Good news–you can literally have your pie and eat it too with this healthier version of apple pie. Click here for more even more healthy pie recipes.
Double-Crusted Apple Pie via MyRecipes.com
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Cooking spray
- 10 cup thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 3 pounds)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
- To prepare pastry, lightly spoon 2 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually add ice water; toss with a fork until flour mixture is moist. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Gently press each portion into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap and place 1 portion of chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap; fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap.
- To prepare filling, combine apple and next 5 ingredients (through nutmeg); toss gently to coat. Spoon apple mixture into prepared pie plate; top with butter.
- Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap and place the remaining portion of chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into an 11-inch circle. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap; fit dough, plastic wrap side up, over apple mixture. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Press edges of dough together. Fold edges under, and flute. Cut several slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape.
- To prepare topping, brush the top of dough with milk; sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over dough. Place pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet; bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pie from oven); bake an additional 40 minutes or until browned. Cool on a wire rack.
This recipe was originally posted on MyRecipes.com.